Miles & More Mileage Bargains January
At the beginning of every month, Miles & More (the loyalty program of Lufhansa) release their so called Mileage Bargains which allow you to redeem Lufthansa miles for award tickets. Sometimes there are good deals to be found, just keep in mind the additional taxes you need to pay for these awards!
The Mileage Bargains can be booked as of January 1st until January 31st for travel between February 1st and March 31st or between May 1st and June 15th, depending on the destination you pick. The “deals” can be found on this link.
Or you can also find these by logging into your Miles & More account first and then click on the “Current promotions” sections on the left side of your screen.
Here are a couple of examples as for what’s available:
- Brussels – Beijing for 70.000 miles in business class
- Brussels – Charlotte for 55.000 miles in business class
- Brussels – Washington for 55.000 miles business class
It’s not only mileage bargains for intercontinental flights in business class, but there are also flights available in economy class for a lower amount of miles:
- Brussels – Beijing for 40.000 miles in economy class
- Brussels – Berlin (Tegel) for 10.000 miles in economy class
- Brussels – Boston for 30.000 miles in economy class
- Brussels – Hong Kong for 40.000 miles in economy class
- Brussels – Miami for 40.000 miles in economy class
- Brussels – Milan for 10.000 miles in economy class
- Brussels – Paname City for 35.000 miles in economy class
- Brussels – Tel Aviv for 25.000 miles in economy class
At first glance these so called mileage bargains may seem like a good deal, but Lufthansa is known to charge you with ridiculous additional costs for fuel surcharges… I will show you 2 examples of mileage bargains I looked at last year, I can’t give you a recent example because I don’t have enough miles in my account to get to the actual screen.
In this example you can see that I looked for a flight from Brussels to Berlin on miles in business class which would set me back 20.000 miles and almost 288 Euros in taxes! For that money you can easily book another ticket in economy class with either Brussels Airlines or a low cost carrier…
It gets even worse when looking for longhaul flights to another continent… This is a return flight from Brussels to Delhi, good deal on miles but look at the surcharges! A whopping 555 Euros, which is just ridiculous!
So don’t let yourself be fooled by the name “mileage bargains” and always look at the additional cost they charge for your award ticket. If you’re willing to pay it, fine, but I would look for alternatives!